As the week of insanity draws to a close, I can finally sit back and reflect on all those 8-10 hour days in the printmaking studio. I regret not being able to update this every night of the last week due to plain exhaustion, but I did manage to snap a plethora of pictures throughout with the help of various fellow Shafer dwellers. I think the easiest and logical way of showing them all will be by each day and each step. I apologize thoroughly for the lack of pictures of me actually printing, it’s a bit of a stressful, messy and fast-paced process. Stopping for pictures would mean ink drying in the screen!
Day 1 involved a number of things happening simultaneously: Prepping the screen, completing the image to its final state and printing the outlines on the plotter in the Davis lab, using Screen Filler for the first color to block the white space where my face will go, and cutting Rubylith for the second color while everything dried. Simple duct tape was used to prevent the ink from sloshing everywhere or leaking through the edges of the screen. The screen was then washed and degreased so that the filler could consistently adhere to the parts I wanted to block. I used the printed outline as a kind of map for tracing and cutting the Rubylith later on for each of the colors.
The outlines are also seen here, underneath the taped and degreased screen. I have the screen propped on a few pieces of foamcore so that the paper outlines did not stick to the back of the screen. Clear acetate was also under the screen to further prevent any drips or mishaps to the only copy in my possession.
By this time, Akus Gallery director and curator Elizabeth Peterson had popped in to see what I was up to:
It seems so simple; lightly trace with the X-acto over the matte side of the Rubylith, and peel back the thin, red layer of film. I started this at noon. It was complete by 6pm.