Escaping the throes of intense essay-writing on this 75 degree Sunday late-afternoon, I present you a much belated update. Today was a beautiful warm day not only because of the weather, but also because I held my new niece Zoe for the first time and shared a little water works with the present five generations of beautiful women. Driving back to Windham in quite indescribable elated spirits, I stopped at my other set of grandparent’s house to borrow a TABLE which they so graciously let me take for this project. It’s exactly what I had in mind. I am nearly finished my 14-page paper from purgatory and I feel I can finally relieve you all of some suspense. Here are some recent photos since Thursday:
Attached ‘staches to sticks-
Using pH Neutral (Acidfree) glue-
and in abundance-
as for the frame? – drumrolllllllllllll
Haha! I couldn’t give away what it all looks like! At least not until the opening. 🙂 But look at that frame, it’s like overlapping mustaches, an infinity mustache!
Tomorrow at 5pm is my deadline. Opening Reception is on May 4th, at 4pm! See you there!
By the end of Day 1, the first color (dark blue) was printed, the second color Rubylith was cut and the screen filler was washed out. The screen was degreased and coated with photo emulsion to dry overnight. The morning of Day 2, the first Rubylith (the mustache pattern) was shot on the photo emulsion and the screen was rinsed, leaving behind the hardened emulsion. By 11am, I was in Amanda Lebel’s studio starting the letterpress. As of right now, I only have about 75 reverse sides to print.
By 1pm I was back in the printmaking room, printing the second blue on top of the empty blue area (the blue on the screen seen here is the negative space, the transparent part is what will actually show up on the print):
and cutting the second Rubylith; a much simpler feat than the first.
I’m kind of loving the way the layers of cut Rubylith look on top of one another.
By the end of Day 2, I had shot the second color screen, started letterpressing, cut the second Rubylith, washed out the screen and coated it with new emulsion for Day 3!
Today I met a temperamental old man of a press. He allowed me to get through half of my ‘staches unscathed. It’s a much less messy process than I had anticipated.
Rubber-based ink is applied and spread around the flat disk on top:
When the lever is pushed down several things happen: two rollers move up along the plate to the disk, collecting ink, are brought back down over the beveled letterpress plate design and the part holding the mustaches in place is pressed against the freshly inked plate. The disk also rotates so fresh ink is applied to the rollers and plate each time the lever is pushed. But sometimes he decided to be a little cranky and this would not happen.
Things are happening!
Photos, letterpress, space and instruction courtesy of the amazing Amanda Lebel!
Thanks to Amanda Lebel and Boxcar Press, the letterpress plate has been ordered and should be ready in the next few days. Letterpress printing is a relief style of printing when the image is sunk into the paper. The negative space becomes almost embossed, while the desired image is pressed in. Boxcar provides excellent examples in their portfolio. In the meantime, I have updated the elevation for the gallery. The end installation will look something close to this:
The ink of the print will cover a 28×28″ area, the print will have a max. 2″ border. The matte will not exceed 3″ and the frame I’m hoping, will be around 2 inches. Go large format!
Letterpress Design in the works! The black lines will be what is raised on the plate, when printed, they won’t actually be black but maybe a white or subtly metallic ink. Same goes for the back.